Optical Character Recognition is used for converting scanned images to editable text files. There are several applications of OCR tools, such as in the health, finance, and education sectors, among others.
This article discusses how the underlying mechanism of OCR works. Moreover, we shall discuss in detail how OCR software is implemented in today’s communication systems and how it has affected the growth of other communication technologies.
In 2024, we will offer detailed instructions on how to use OCR software to obtain text data from images. In this article, we provide you with a detailed guide to OCR tools, their features, and what to consider at the time of purchase or selection.
And now we will enter the world of OCR tools to see how they change the way we handle images and texts!
Exploring OCR Tools and Applications
There are many such OCR tools for diverse platforms and case applications. Here are a few notable examples:
With ABBYY FineReader Software, one can convert, edit, share, and collaborate with other workers remotely on PDFs and scanned files digitally. This makes scanning, retrieval, updating, protection, or signing of different language and format PDFs easier by utilizing the latest OCR AI technology by Abbi.
In a digital office, you have a chance to edit, convert, share, and work with other people on PDFs and scanned documents using the FineReader PDF trial version.
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC:
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC helps in creating, editing, converting, protecting, and signing PDFs from any compatible device as well. Subscription comes in handy as you can work together on projects, file-sharing of documents, access state-of-the-art equipment, and more. For 7 days, you can get Adobe Acrobat Pro for free, allowing you to edit, convert, and sign PDFs on any device.
However, if you are an Adobe Acrobat Pro subscription holder or an Adobe Acrobat Standard subscription holder, you can download and install your subscription-based version of the software on your computer.
Readiris PDF Pro:
Reading RIS PDF PRO is an optic character reader (OCR) whose function is to convert, edit, and transform your hardcopy document into e-paper records. It’s robust PDF-centric management software that allows for editing of various file formats, such as composing, altering, annotating, splitting, and sorting multiple protected single or combined PDF files.
One can download and get the trial version on IRIS’ official site at a cost of about $99. The same website allows you to download a free trial version of Readiris PDF Pro if you want to test its performance before buying.
Imagetotext.cc is an online OCR (optical character recognition) program that enables individuals to obtain textual material from pictures. It supports many image types, such as JPG, PNG, BMP, and GIF. With this tool, you will be able to load a picture or image to text the site, where it will automatically pick out the characters and make them readable text.
This instrument is highly precise and thus effective in getting texts from such unclear pictures, which makes it relevant when scanning book prints, handwriting, and other typed manuscripts. In addition, mathematical syntax detection is implemented to guarantee that the output is error-free. There is no charge for this tool, which will allow you to convert your text in seconds with just a few clicks and also give you the option to save it to a file or copy the content to the clipboard.
Obtaining Text from Images
Extracting images to text conversion using OCR tools is a straightforward process that can be accomplished in a few simple steps:
Preparing the Image for OCR:
- Ensure image quality: Use a clear picture with proper lighting and contrasts.
- Resize the image: Resize the picture to an appropriate size of 300–600 DPI so as to strike the right balance between accuracy and file size.
- Correct image orientation: Make sure the image has been turned properly, as OCR systems may struggle with rotated and upside-down images.
- Remove unwanted elements: Zoom into the image and crop it so that you are left with only the required text region.
- Enhance image clarity: Use adjustment buttons for brightness, contrast, and sharpness in order to make the characters more legible.
- Convert to grayscale: Sometimes, converting an image from color to grayscale may enhance OCR performance in some images.
Using Desktop OCR Software:
- Open the OCR software and install it.
- Open and import the image file that contains your extractable text.
- Choose a suitable language for the text in the image.
- Select the preferred format in which you would like to save the result, for instance, plain text, Word, or PDF document.
- Initiate the OCR process. The software will read the image and get the content.
- Check the extracted text for accuracy and correct if any inaccuracy exists.
- Store the text in the selected format, extracted.
Utilizing Online OCR Services:
- Find a trustworthy OCR service provider on the Internet.
- Just upload the image file with the text you wish to get.
- Choose the language used by the text in the picture. sentence to another
- Select the required output type, for example, plain text, MS Word or PDF.
- Initiate the OCR process. The software will examine the photo and extract the writing.
- Download the extracted text file.
- Check the retrieved text for consistency in order to include or remove some of it.
Employing Mobile OCR Apps:
- Go ahead and download an effective OCR application onto your tablet or smartphone.
- Start the OCR application and provide it permission to use your camera or gallery.
- Tap a photo of the text you need to copy or choose one from your photos library.
- The app will convert the scanned images of the characters into digital data extraction and put them onto the screen.
- Send copied text through mail, copy into text and paste/share to other apps.
OCR technology has revolutionized how people relate to data and created a convenient means of converting paper-based documents into digitally readable files. However, with the continued development of OCR technologies and uses, we anticipate even more impressive features to come that will further simplify data collection, document digitisation and accessibility.