An initial interest and reassurance are available to a consumer when a certification adheres to the manufacturers. Essential proofs of accreditation help in extending the consumerism of the said manufacturer.
NABL is a Constituent Board of Quality Council of India. NABL stands for National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories. NABL Accredited labs have confirmation and access to adequate quality control, either through testing or production.
What is accreditation?
Accreditation is a third-party agreement or attestation conveying a demonstration of its efficiency and competence to carry out specific assessment tasks. Conformity Assessment Body (CAB) is a Council body that includes testing for Medical Laboratories, Calibration Laboratories, Proficiency Testing Providers, and Reference Material Producers. The trade and industry policy of the Indian Government has created a unique quality consciousness in domestic trade, providing greater access for export.
This has resulted in the need for testing centers and laboratories to operate at an efficient, international acceptance level. Each accreditation has its terms and procedures. Laboratory accreditation is a formal procedure where an authoritative body gives permanent recognition of technical competence for specific tests/ measurements, based on third-party assessment following international standards.
Similarly, Proficiency testing Provider accreditation provides formal recognition of competence for organizations that carry out proficiency testing. Reference Material Producers Accreditation gives recognition of competence to produce reference materials based on third-party assessment, adhering to international standards.
Why is accreditation important?
Accreditation provides recognition of competent CABs, providing a means for customers to analyze reliable testing, calibration, Proficiency Testing, and Reference Material Producer services that can meet their demands.
The consumers also need to know the technically competent laboratory in fields such as Medical, Forensic, Food Testing, etc. The Indian economy’s globalization and liberal policies are initiated and carried out by the Government to reduce trade and commerce barriers. It provides greater affluence in exports making it extremely imperative for Accredited Laboratories to be at an international level of competence.
Fields or disciplines of CABs covered by NABL:
NABL Accreditation is currently given in the following fields and disciplines. The CABs will have to apply in relevant discipline distinctly depending on the discipline the scope belongs to:
- Fluid flow
- Non-Destructive Testing
- Photo Merry
- Diagnostic Radiology QA Testing
- Software and IT System
- Fluid flow
- Medical devices
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Clinical Pathology
- Haematology and Immunohaematology
- Microbiology and Infectious Disease Serology
- Nuclear Medicine
- Molecular Testing
- Flow Cytometry
- Medical Imaging – Conformity Assessment Bodies (MI – CAB)
Proficiency Testing Providers:
Reference Material Producers:
- Chemical Composition
- Biological and Clinical Properties
- Physical Properties
- Engineering Properties
- Miscellaneous Properties
Benefits of Accreditation:
Formal recognition of the competence of a CAB by NABL in adherence to international standards comes with its advantages:
- International recognition
- Access to Global consumer market
- Efficiency to Time and Money
- Enhanced continuity in customer confidence and satisfaction
- Robustly functioning Quality Management System
- Persistent improvements
- Improving operation control
- Assurance of accurate results
- Efficient cost reduction
- Prevents wastage
Benefits of Laboratory Accreditation
Formal recognition of the competence of a laboratory by NABL by international criteria has many advantages:
- It is an immediate source for customers to identify and select reliable services to meet their needs – testing, measurement and calibration.
- Enhancement of confidence in Testing / Calibration Reports issued by the NABL Accredited laboratories emphasise accuracy and reliable results.
- The results from accredited laboratories are extensively used for the public benefit in providing services that promote an eco-friendly service – safe food, energy, health, clean water and social care services.
- Access to control of operations and feedback in laboratories, emphasising Quality assurance and competency.
- Possible augmentation of business due to trustworthy customer satisfaction and confidence: laboratories receive international recognition through NABL accreditation, enhancing the acceptance of their products in overseas markets. Accreditation also helps in eliminating a follow-up or retesting in another country.
- The NABL website and the Directory of Accredited Laboratories have a log of all the accredited laboratories in a list that makes it easier for consumers to identify the products of their specific requirements.
- Consumers and accredited laboratories enjoy higher access to products in both domestic and international markets.
- Finally, saving time and money as the need for retesting is eliminated by purchasing through accredited laboratories.